Steel doors and the importance of core structure
When you are choosing the right safety doors for your building, steel often comes to mind as a safe material option. Steel doors have many benefits over standard doors and can offer higher protection than most other options. This is because steel doors have a unique core system. Learn more about the core systems of steel doors below.
How are steel doors made?
Many people believe that steel doors are simply a solid piece of metal. However, this is not the case. More commonly, steel doors have steel panelling on the outside, which enables them to be strong but to remain lightweight. Beneath the panels, steel doors have a core system, with the performance of the door varying in accordance with this core. It is important to choose a core structure which offers the best protection, based on your building’s unique needs.
Types of core structures
There are a number of core types which can be applied when manufacturing steel doors and each type has a number of different qualities and subsequent benefits. Some common core structures include:
Honeycomb Cores: This approach uses a material such as metal or cardboard to form a honeycomb structure within the door. Honeycomb is beneficial for insulation and soundproofing but also helps the door to keep its strength structurally, as well as keeping weight down.
Steel Stiffened Cores: These cores implement lengths of steel as reinforcements, which drastically improves the strength of the door, as well as its soundproofing abilities and fire resistance. These doors, however, tend to be slightly heavier than types with other cores, as they contain a lot of steel.
Polystyrene Cores: Cores containing polystyrene are often used together with steel stiffeners so that they retain their strength. Polystyrene is effective in insulating from sound and can remain very lightweight.
Why use steel doors?
Steel doors have many benefits which mean they can be applied to a broad range of uses. Many people choose steel doors because of the following qualities.
- Steel doors are highly weather-proof compared to wooden doors which can easily absorb moisture.
- Steel doors offer significant strength, providing protection and a high level of security.
- Steel doors can withstand high temperatures, making it an ideal fire-safe material.
- Steel is highly durable, meaning that steel doors will last a long time.
- Steel doors with thick, insulated cores are great for soundproofing.
- Steel doors are the best choice for industries that require the utmost levels of hygiene, such as the medical and manufacturing industry. Furthermore, they are easy to maintain and keep clean.
Who needs steel doors?
The following building types and industries would benefit significantly by installing steel doors.
- recording studios
- concert venues
- hospitals and medical clinics
- defence facilities
- manufacturing plants
FSE Special Purpose Doors are specialists in the design, manufacture and installation of steel fire doors and their decorative components across Australia.