An Overview of Residential Fire Doors
Here is an overview of residential fire doors – why they are important and the different options avaliable from FSE Special Purpose Doors.
Much like hotels and hospitality venues, residential complex’s require strict and compliant fire protection systems to ensure the safety of all residents. Fire doors are particularly important for containing flame and smoke, making sure they do not make their way into isolated areas such as stairwells and corridors in the event of a fire.
Under the requirements of the Building Code of Australia, entry and exit doors in residential buildings, apartments and hotels require a fire rating of one hour. Our certified fire door sets are particularly suited to high-end residential applications, built to an extremely high quality that you can rely on. Let’s take a closer look at residential fire doors.
What Are Fire Doors?
“Fire door” is a short term for a fire-rated door set. Fire doors consist of the door leaf, frame and associated hardware such as handles, locks, viewing panels and air grills. All of these elements will have been rigorously tested in accordance with the Building Code of Australia (i.e. AS1530.4) to achieve their fire rating. You can read more about this process here.
These kinds of doors are required to close and latch by themselves to avoid being left open. This is particularly important for what is known as ‘compartmentalising’ a fire, which contains flame and smoke while directing traffic to safety.
In a nutshell, fire doors save lives.
Why Do You Need Fire Doors In Residential Spaces?
Where fire rated doors are not required in your average home, they are an essential part of every fire protection model for apartments, hotels and other residential complex’s.
• Safety – Fire doors save lives by stopping fire and smoke from spreading quickly and from entering places where residents may get trapped, such as corridors, alcoves, and stairwells.
• Building Preservation – Aside from protecting the people within them, fire doors are vital in protecting buildings by hindering the spread of fire and smoke throughout. They are also necessary for stopping fire from spreading to other buildings, which may be very important if the building is located in a densely populated area.
• Compliance – Australia has strict rules in regards to fire safety in all states. As a designer, architect, builder, installer, or strata manager it is very important to ensure that all fire rated doors and frames comply with Australian (and state) regulations in order to avoid serious penalties.
• Easy escape – Aside from the doors themselves, fire door signage helps to direct residents to safety in the event of a fire.
What Kinds of Residential Fire Doors Are Avaliable?
FSE Special Purpose Doors provide products that are designed and engineered to suit the many different residential applications.
• Hinged fire doors – Our standard hinged fire doors are perfect for residential use. The door leaf is lightweight and offers excellent strength, durability, security and privacy, and despite their relative thickness maintain excellent fire performance levels in excess of the minimum one hour requirement for residential buildings.
• Swinging Fire Doors – Swinging double action fire doors may be suitable in entrance halls or large corridors. They perform like any other fire door. However, the key difference is that they swing 180-degrees to allow traffic to move quickly and easily back and forth through the doors.
• Heritage fire doors – There are some residential buildings in Australia of cultural or historical significance that are protected by heritage preservation orders. We are experts in installing tested and approved fireproofing systems to existing heritage doors that adhere to modern safety regulations while maintaining traditional aesthetics.
Residential Fire Doors from FSE Special Purpose Doors
Fire doors are an essential part of many residential buildings’ fire protection systems and the overall safety of the residents within. FSE Special Purpose Doors’ unmatched experience and expertise in the design, construction and manufacture of residential fire door provides our customers with exceptional peace of mind.
FSE Special Purpose Doors work with many residential clients throughout Australia to design, manufacture and install fire doors of all kinds.
If you have any questions about residential fire doors, to learn more about our products, or to book a quote, phone 1300 4 DOORS, or contact us here.