An Overview of Acoustic Doors For Theatres & Cinemas
Here is an overview of acoustic doors for theatres & cinemas – how they work and the different options avaliable from FSE Special Purpose Doors.
Ensuring that ambient noise is constrained is fundamental to the construction of theatres and cinemas. This is achieved by implementing acoustically treated barriers in entry/exit points that restricts any sound from entering and escaping a hall.
Our acoustic doors are built to an extremely high quality when it comes to both soundproofing and safety, and are suitable for all types of entertainment venues, including school and home theatres, and commercial cinemas.
Acoustic Doors For Theatres & Cinemas
In Australia, acoustic doors must meet certain ‘Rw’ sound resistant standards set out by the BCA and are tested and certified accordingly (see: ISO 140-3: 1995 – “acoustics – measurement of sound insulation of buildings and of building elements”).
Our acoustic doors can achieve an acoustic rating of up to Rw41. They can also double as fire and smoke doors and can be used in boundary walls, where both noise control and fire resistance may be required.
Acoustic doors can be made from a range of materials, such as galvanised steel, laminated steel sheet metals, and feature certain finishes and/or decorative veneers to suit any design requirements your theatre or cinema may desire.
How Do Soundproof Doors Work?
Any kind of door works as a sound barrier in some respect. With standard doors, however, sound waves will still manage to make their way through unless further preventative measures are taken. These measures include sound insulation and sound absorption – putting up an acoustic barrier.
The greater the mass of the insulation material per unit area of a door, the more soundproof it will be. A double-leaf partition – two sections separated by an air gap filled with a sound absorber – is an efficient and practical sound absorber.
You can read more about how sound proofing works here.
Types of Acoustic Doors Avaliable For Theatres and Cinemas
Acoustic doors can be purchased to suit a range of frame types and sizes, depending on the needs of your theatre. We offer the following kinds of acoustic doors:
• Hinged fire doors – Our standard hinged acoustic doors are perfect for use in cinemas. Our product has been designed and engineered specifically for heavy duty use that also offer excellent performance levels of security, longevity and sound attenuation.
• Swinging acoustic doors – Swinging double action acoustic doors are perfect in cinemas where doorways accommodate heavy traffic flow in both directions. They perform like a normal acoustic door, the key difference being that they swing 180-degrees to allow traffic to move quickly and easily back and forth through the doors.
• Single or double sliding doors – Acoustic sliding doors are suitable in theatres where a conventional side hung door is impractical.
• Fire or smoke doors – Commercial cinemas or theatres must comply with fire safety regulations as with any other building. Our acoustic doors can double as fire doors, compliant with the Building Code of Australia (i.e. AS1530.4).
• Heritage door upgrades – There are some old cinemas in Australia of cultural or historical significance that are protected by heritage preservation orders. We are experts in installing tested and approved sound proofing systems to existing heritage doors that adhere to modern regulations while maintaining traditional aesthetics.
• Heavy or lightweight doors – Our acoustic doors can be customised to meet the needs of any theatre, from heavy soundproofing to lighter applications.
All door types can be manufactured and installed with the required accessories and hardware, including frames, hinges, acoustic seals, handles and closing/locking mechanisms, as well as additional features like peep holes or viewing windows.
FSE Specialise Purpose Doors specialises in designing and manufacturing soundproof doors based on our client’s requirements. We work in conjunction with skilled acousticians to ensure we can present custom solutions for any situation.